Thursday, December 6, 2012

(500) Days of Summer

 
This is not a love story. This is a story about love.
 
I am usually a sucker for chick flicks and sad and girly Hollywood movies, but I enjoy watching independent films from time to time, such as Ruby Sparks a couple months ago which is such a cute movie (and if it is still playing where you live, seriously, go see it) and (500) Days of Summer. I've seen the latter about three or four times and I love it.

(500) Days of Summer is an American comedy/drama that came out in 2009. Written by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, it was directed by Marc Webb and produced by Mark Waters. Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt play the main characters. The film received and was nominated for plenty of awards when it first came out.
 
The film does not follow a linear narrative structure, it follows the mind of the main protagonist, Tom Hansen, who remembers the 500 days he spent being in love with Summer Finn. From the very beginning, Summer tells him she does not want a serious relationship, but Tom still falls in love with her, being the hopeless romantic that he is.
 
First of all, I love this movie for the great music. It is definitely my favorite movie soundtrack of all time (except for musicals, of course). Check out the list of songs here. I like the fact that, this time, it is the girl that does not care about being in love and the boy tries to change her mind. The photography of the movie is also perfect. There are some of my favorite scenes of all times in this movie. One is the scene in the Ikea, the other is one of the most famous moments of the movie, when Tom sees Summer again after a while and goes to her appartment, the screen is divided in two parts: his expectations / reality. I think it is done so beautifully and it goes perfectly with the style of the movie.
 
Seriously, watch this movie. If it is not for the story or the actors (Zooey Deschanel is perfect), do it for the beauty of the movie. And I leave you with the trailer and my favorite moment of the movie, and a couple of pictures. Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment